1. framing – In general, the framing members that make up a window or door opening consisting of the king studs,trimmer studs and header.  When describing the individual components of a window or door opening, “jamb” usually refers to the king and trimmer studs.
  2. window and door units – The vertical or side frame of a window or door unit is called the jamb. The top frame is called the head or head jamb and the bottom frame is called the sill on window units and the threshold on door units.

wall framing diagram showing jamb components



Did you enjoy this post?  Tell us what you think in the comments box below. 

Want to see more?
Subscribe to our RSS feed  or Subscribe by e-mail

Wood’s Home Maintenance Service offers solutions for a wide range of building, maintenance and repair needs.  Give us a call or click the button below to contact us  today for a free estimate.

 Contact us about painting a deck

About Tony Wood

Tony is a life time resident of North Carolina with over 40 years experience in multiple facets of the industrial, commercial and residential construction industry. For the past 33 years he has owned and operated Wood's Home Maintenance Service, providing services primarily in Johnston, Wake and Sampson Counties of North Carolina. ______________ ______________________________________________________ The information contained in this Blog is opinion derived, from hands on experience of over 40 years in the construction industry and by extensive research by the author. All postulations are referenced to the geographic location in which this experience was gained.
Bookmark the permalink.